I planted morning glory seeds indoors about a week ago. plastic container...

Asked March 30, 2015, 9:16 AM EDT

I planted morning glory seeds indoors about a week ago. plastic container with soil for starting seeds. My plants are now getting long and spindly with leaves on top. Do I transplant or what to do? Please help me as this is new to me and want a good outcome. Thanks, Marge

Douglas County Minnesota

It's early to plant morning glories outside. They won't tolerate frost, so they shouldn't be outside until after the last average frost date which in your area of MN is May 21- May 31. The best way to keep them healthy inside until May is to put them under a light. Usually seedlings started inside need artificial lighting.

Standard "cool white" fluorescent bulbs provide enough light for seedlings. The lights should be 2-3 inches away from the plants and should be turned on 12 -16 hours per day. It helps to have the light on some sort of chain so as the plants grow, the light can be raised.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/flowers/starting-seeds-indoors/