How should I deal with moss in my lawn?

Hello and thank you for the service you provide. I live in St Mary's county and have a considerable amount of moss growing in my backyard and hesitate to put chemicals down to control the problem. If I aerate over the moss and seed with grass seed in the fall will the grass grow? Seems the moss problem gets worse by the year, my back yard get's little sun which I'm sure is not helping the problem. Thanks for your help.

St. Mary's County Maryland

There are many contributing factors favoring the presents of moss in a lawn.Getting the turf healthy to compete with the moss is the key. Because of the growing habit of moss, all of it should be removed prior to fall over-seeding to be successful, Mechanical power raking followed by core aerating will do a complete job in preparing the soil. For moss control see - http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG100_Moss_Control_i...
ro