The bark is peeling off my cran apple tree. It started as a small patch on a...

The bark is peeling off my cran apple tree. It started as a small patch on a branch and has moved to multiple branches and the trunk. The tree is blooming so it isn't dead (yet). Can you identify the problem and recommend a solution?

Arapahoe County Colorado trees and shrubs disease issues horticulture

Some crabapple tree varieties have a certain kind of bark called exfoliating bark. This is normal for them and this characteristic adds some visual interest to the tree, particularly in the winter when there are no leaves present. It looks like your tree has this type of bark.

If it is flowering, leafing out and producing fruit normally, I would say that there is nothing at this point to worry about.

For information on how to care for your crabapple and an explanation of some of the more common problems, refer to the fact sheet below:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07424.html

It is important to remember to prune any trees in the apple family in early spring before bud break to avoid fireblight which is a common problem along the Front Range.