Clover plants (I think)

Asked March 20, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Hello, I just bought a couple of clover plants, I think, from Smith's food store yesterday, and I'm planning on transferring them today. I'm not sure how to care for them, how much sunlight, ect. And how long do they generally live? One looks like typical clover plant but with skinny white flowers that almost look like mini hunnysuckle, and the other is just purple leaves. Do you have any suggestions or can you guide me to the right resources? Thank you for your time. : ) Best regards, Suzanne E.

Clark County Nevada

Actually what you purcahsed are triangular oxalis plants which are quite popular around St Patrick's day for obvious reasons. Oxalis make wonderful house plants that are easy to care for and can be resurrected when it appears they have died because they are actually tiny bulbs. The plants generate a small white flower. Many people grow the plant outdoors as well.

Here is a link to the care of oxalis plants:
http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/cobb/anr/Documents/shamrock.pdf

Hi Rick,
Thank you so much for getting back to me with that information. I wouldn't have known otherwise. They are the cutest little plants. I just love the little blooms they have. They will have lots of loving care in our home. Think I got a great buy for .50 each. I really do love them. One question though, being in Las Vegas where it gets pretty hot, can they take the heat of the outdoors and direct sunlight or should I just keep them inside? I just want to give them the best care. Thanks again. : )
Suzanne E.

You should provide bright, indirect light. Daytime temps should not exceed 75 degrees so outdoor Las Vegas temps might stress the plant and cause it to go into dormancy faster so it would probably be best to keep indoors. Be careful not to over water. After the plant finishes blooming it will go into dormancy. Reduce water and remove spent foliage and store in a cool dry place for 1-3 months until green shoots develop. Return the plant to the sun and resume watering and the plant will come back to life.

Hope this helps.

It helped alot!! Thanks again, Rick.