I am at wits end for several years I have had cicada killer wasp on one side of my yard.

Asked March 19, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

Please help: I have hundreds and hundreds of cicada killer wasp swarming around. Last year we could not even sit out side they were so bad . We have tried everything to get rid of them nothing works. I have to get rid of the bees can you help. My number is

Anne Arundel County Maryland pest control cicada killers beneficial insect

Are you sure that they are cicada killer wasps? (These would be very large and relatively slow). Either way, if they are beneficial mining bees like cicada killers, they are not at all aggressive and don't sting unless squeezed. Mining bees are solitary bees and do not defend a nest like some others. They drill one hole and lay and egg, then provide food for when it hatches by stinging a cicada and laying that on top. Others do the same with lawn grubs. They generally are attracted to areas that do not have any vegetation, so you probably need to over seed or plant this area. Here is our publication on ground nesting bees, which does include how to get rid of them: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG104_Mining_Bees_an...