Parrotlets

Asked March 6, 2015, 10:09 AM EST

I would like information about breeding these small parrots as a hobby,

Anyone have some real advise?

Campbell County Virginia

Just a couple of thoughts. First, I assume that there is a strong market for these birds to inspire the thought to go into the business. So with that as a given, I would contact VDACS (Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services) to see if there are any restrictions on owning breeding birds and or the importing or exporting of same. I do not know of any personally, but it would sure warrant a check to be sure before investing.

Second, I suggest contacting the Virginia Maryland Regional College of Vet Medicine (VMRCVM) in Blacksburg to get a contact expert on breeding parrotlets. Ask about any potential genetic issues that need to be avoided and also try to get an idea of the number of birds needed to maintain genetic diversity once you get established. This is an issue in purebred dogs. As the business matures, more and more care is needed to ensure that breeding pairs are not promoting abnormalities from inbreeding.

Just a few thoughts....hope that helps!

Andy