Compressed air or oxygen into the compost pile?

Asked March 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EST

Hi there,

I am busy planning my first compost water heater and was wondering if whilst putting my water pipes into the pile I should not maybe include an 8mm airline that I could use at a later stage to push compressed oxygen into the pile. I was thinking of using gas welding oxygen. Your thoughts and comments would really be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Howard Rees

Outside United States

Howard,

Although compost water heaters are an exciting concept, I have yet to see an example of one of these in my State (Utah). If you are concerned that the mound will become too saturated, it would not hurt to push oxygen into it to keep microbial life and associated heat at a high efficiency level. I'm sure you've seen it, but if not, you may wish to read "The Compost-Powered Water Heater" http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-Compost-Powered-Water-Heater/. My extension work has mainly focused on simple backyard compost systems and vermicomposting. I would love to see a picture of your system.