My hawaiian scheflera is dropping leaves, they darken and then drop off....

Asked February 18, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

My hawaiian scheflera is dropping leaves, they darken and then drop off. Still has new growth coming in. It is about 3 feet tall and I moved it to a larger pot this summer and it was doing fine until about a month ago. It is in front of a window that does not get direct sunlight and has been OK there in the winter, in summer it is on my back screened in porch. This plant is probably 8-10 years old, have had it since it was about 8 inches high.

Virginia houseplants leaf drop

The first thing to do is examine the plant for insects, they are susceptible to scale,mites and mealy bugs,check especially at the axial of the leaf where it joins the stem.The second thing to do is to examine the root system, looking for excess water and any drainage problem. Keep the plant on the dry side during the winter resting months.just barely keeping the soil moist.

ro