I have 24 acres in a tree farm program in the Upper Marlboro/Croom area of...

I have 24 acres in a tree farm program in the Upper Marlboro/Croom area of Prince Georges County. I am in the woods weekly and this winter it appears that the ash trees have taken a quite a beating from the woodpeckers this winter. The ground around the trees are littered with bark chips and the trees are light colored where the bark has been picked off. I tried looking for the "D" shaped holes but to tell the truth there are so many woodpecker holes I gave up. Is there a resource to have the trees looked at? Is there any advantage to cutting them down prior to them dying from the damage? Thanks

Prince George's County Maryland

Old holes of Emerald Ash borer (EAB) darken and are very hard to spot. Because the adults emerge in April, you wouldn't see any fresh holes until then.
EAB was first found in Prince George's County in Maryland and it is very likely that EAB are in your ash. UMD does not come out to confirm EAB there. You can contact a private arborist if you like.

We recommend that you contact Jonathan Keys and/or your tree farm program administrators for recommendations of places that will take this wood.

It is best to cut EAB-infested ash (or any ailing ash) before it dies. When it dies, it quickly becomes very brittle and hard (sometimes dangerous) to work with. If you can remove the trees while alive and soon while the ground is frozen and not muddy, and also when woodpecker-marked trees are easy to spot, it will be easier for you.

While EAB infested wood--or ANY ash tree product--can be sold, because of the EAB quarantine, it can only be transported within the quarantine area. The part of Maryland west of the Bay is all under quarantine. No ash can go over the Chesapeake Bay to the Eastern Shore.

There is more information on EAB on our website. Just put EAB in the website searchbox or look under Invasives.