1) How long can an arbor vitae live? Mine is at the corner of my house and...

Asked February 9, 2015, 8:44 AM EST

1) How long can an arbor vitae live? Mine is at the corner of my house and about 65 years old and about 50 feet tall. I thought it might be looking a little stressed lately but maybe it's just winter. I would hate to lose it. 2) What soil mix should I use? I'm planning an elevated garden, completely off the ground, this spring in 3 Earth Boxes. They're plastic boxes with a false bottom for a self watering reservoir. Each is 29 x 11 x 14 and will contain about 2 cubic feet of soil. Thaks, on.

Montgomery County Maryland

1. We can't say how long your arborvitae will live. However, you can optimize its health by watering during droughts, using compost or a slow release fertilizer around it (not yearly), and mulch with organic mulch not touching the trunk and no more than 2-3 inches deep. (This will decompose and also feed the tree.) If you see any specific sign of insects or disease, send us a digital photo.

2. Here is the information on container mixes in the Grow It Eat It section of our website: http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/what-growing-media It's a thorough discussion of container mixes.

We have used 50/50 soilless mix/compost and also 100% soilless mix in Earth boxes with good results. You can also go to the Earth Box website for their info and recommendations. Of course, they recommend their mix.