Hi. I have a Camillia at my house that I'm going to need to move due to a...

Asked February 6, 2015, 9:45 AM EST

Hi. I have a Camillia at my house that I'm going to need to move due to a renovation. The tree is approximately 25 feet tall in a protected location. Is it feasible to move a Camillia this established? If so, what is the best method? Do you recommend a specific company or entity that is more experienced in dealing with this variety of plant and successfully transplanting, or caring for in general, to guarantee the best chance of successfully moving it? Thanks!

Anne Arundel County Maryland transplanting flowering shrubs

Yes it is feasible to transplant a plant of this size, camellia,as well as rhododendron and azaleas have shallow root systems compared to deciduous trees thus requiring a smaller root ball.Late fall or winter is a favorable time to transplant camellia.The process can be done manually or involve the use of a tree spade.Although we do not recommend specific contractors, you can google search for your area, many are members of reputable landscape associations and willing to provide estimates for their services.

ro