I would like to take a market goat as my 4-H project. However I don't know...

I would like to take a market goat as my 4-H project. However I don't know very much about them. I would like to know what date I should have a goat in my possession by, also I would like to know which breed is most commonly taken to fair. Please respond quickly.

Pickaway County Ohio goats

Each county has their own requirement dates. For Pickaway County goats must be in the member's possession by April 15; however most everyone will have theirs a month before that. We recommend you purchase goats that were born in December or January. The goats must be wethers (castrated males). Pickaway allows you to show either one or two market goats at the county fair. There is not a pre-fair tagging in the spring. Goats must be dehorned and weigh at least 50 pounds at the fair. Typically the judge is looking for a finished goat closer to 70-90 pounds but every judge is different. Wethers are not required to have a scrapie ID from the breeder for our fair but may need it if you plan on showing at open shows or the state fair.

Thanks, Joy!