English Ivy Removal

I have a large bed of well-established English ivy that I need to eradicate. I've tried before to cut it and pull it out but it came back even lusher. It is growing up a large pine tree and when I try to tear it off, it breaks part-way up.

I would rather not use herbicides unless there is no other good alternative. Also, I've read that herbicides used near pine trees are especially harmful for the tree. What can I do to get rid of this ivy?

Norfolk Virginia weeds english ivy vines

Persistence is the key to English ivy eradication. Cut it off where it comes out of the ground at the base of the tree. You do not have to pull it off of the tree if you have cut every vine going up the tree. Dig up as much as you can. As it regrows, continue to dig and cut. Herbicides are not very effective against English ivy, since it has a waxy coating on the leaves. You can paint herbicide on the cut woody stems, being sure to apply the herbicide as soon as you make your cut. http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invaders/archived_invaders_2004_02.html vw