How to Notify Beneficiary

Asked January 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

An uncle in one state (Colorado) dies. His will leaves his paid-for house to his niece in another state (New York). The uncle and niece have never met. How does the niece find out about his death and her bequeathal? Does an attorney in the uncle's town hire an investigator to find her and then call or write her, or does the attorney go through a New York attorney to relay the news?

Duval County Florida personal finance lrk

1 Response

Your question is about a very specific legal topic and may require professional advice to meet your individual needs. Please contact an attorney or other qualified legal advisor in your area. Cooperative Extension educational information should not be used as a substitute for seeking sound legal advice.

If you can't afford an attorney, you might want to contact a local legal services agency, pro bono legal clinic, or law school legal clinic for assistance.