Kinship care

Asked January 28, 2015, 2:27 PM EST

My Cuz has custody of my two Neices. They are three and four. We are trying to get kinship care for them

Philadelphia County Pennsylvania

3 Responses

Thank you for your question. Benefits vary by state and you'll need to check with the state of Pennsylvania to see what benefits relative caregivers are entitled to receive. If relative caregivers are not entitled to receive benefits, see if the children themselves qualify for benefits on their own, separate from the household that they're living in.

A good place to start would be the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Additionally, it looks like the State of Pennsylvania provides an online portal to self-screen for benefits

We have tried both of those avenues and no luck.

I'm sorry you didn't have any luck with the human service agencies in PA. Unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions. You might see if there are private entities that provide support or services for relative caregivers. But, basically, if the state doesn't have programs/services or if you don't qualify for those then there probably isn't a whole lot else. Best of luck.