Mushrooms a problem for dog owners

Asked January 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me with a mushroom problem! My dog seems to really enjoy seeking them out in the yard and eating them. Although she has not gotten sick yet, I fear one day she may get very sick or die from eating a mushroom. I always go out in the yard and pick up the ones I see, but inevitably, she finds some that I didn't and eats them. There are several different kinds that pop up in our yard. Is there anything I can do to get rid of these mushrooms? I know the wind carries the spores, so the odds are against me ridding my yard of them, but just wanted to ask an expert for some advice.

Thank you!

Harris County Texas

1 Response

A mushroom is the spore-bearing or fruiting structure of a fungus. Fungi feed on dead organic matter such as dead tree roots, buried logs and stumps. These fungi may live for many years until the wood is completely decomposed. Mushrooms cause no harm to a lawn. There is no practical or permanent way to eliminate them.

Besides organic matter, mushrooms also need adequate moisture. If you are keeping your lawn too wet, allow the soil to dry between watering this will help to reduce spore germination.

Here is an additional resource. http://www.lsuagcenter.com/news_archive/2013/july/get_it_growing/Mushrooms-in-the-yard-arent-cause-f...

Thanks for the question.