What should I look for in water testing services?

Asked January 26, 2015, 10:08 AM EST

I would like to get my water tested. My kitchen faucet spout has developed punctures in the neck and leaks. This is the third one to do that over 6 years. I want to find out if the water has something in it that eats the faucet material. When looking for water testing services, what should I ask? Are there certifications I should know about? Are there specific types of tests I should request?

Marion County Indiana

2 Responses

Thank you for your question to eXtension. Purdue has a number of bulletins that will provide some information for you on water testing and water quality.

Here is Purdue's bulletin on Water Testing Labs: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/WQ/WQ-1-W.pdf . This provides a list of all of the approved testing labs in the region.

How to Take a Water Sample: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/WQ/WQ-3.html

Why and How to Test Home Water Supplies: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/WQ/WQ-4-W.pdf

Drinking Water Quality Reports: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/WQ/WQ-33/WQ-33.pdf . This publication provides information for interpreting the drinking water quality report that customers of a public water system receive each year. It also covers types of contamination that can occur, treatment options, and how to protect or improve your water quality.

After you've read these bulletins over, send a water sample to one of the labs listed in the first publication, and/or your local health department. Explain to them on the report what your problem has been with the faucet punctures. Once you get the reports back, you can contact me if you have any further questions.

Great , thanks, this helps:)