Converting a concrete in ground pool to a natural pond

Recently we moved into my grandfather's house on his farm property in Murrysville. Behind our house is the pear-shaped, in ground pool our family built fifty years ago. It is run off and spring fed and set up with a pump to be a chlorinated swimming pool, but has gone unused for the past several years and is in disrepair. We are interested in turning it into a natural pond but could use some help. Since this is a trend starting to take hold in the US, I thought I would reach out to the Gardening and Landscape programs at PS to see if this project might fit in somehow to your curriculum. Clearly we would benefit from your help and expertise, but students might also benefit as this conversion becomes more commonplace. Would it be possible to be put in touch with folks at Penn State who could help?

Westmoreland County Pennsylvania

Here is the contact information for the Westmoreland County Extension office:

214 Donohoe Road, Suite E
Donohoe Center
Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone: 724-837-1402
Fax: 724-837-7613
WestmorelandExt@psu.edu

Also included is Allegheny County office, if might be just as close to you.

400 North Lexington Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15208-2521

Phone: 412-473-2540
Fax: 412-473-2768
AlleghenyExt@psu.edu