Are you aware that spent hops from home beer brewing are toxic to pets and...

Asked January 17, 2015, 12:12 PM EST

Are you aware that spent hops from home beer brewing are toxic to pets and will most likely result in death to the animal?

Hennepin County Minnesota companion animals hops

1 Response

Thank you for your comment about spent hops. According to the animal poison control center, spent hops has been associated with life-threatening signs in dogs. Both the fresh plant and spent (cooked) hops are dangerous to pets causing damage and failure to multiple organ systems. If ingested, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. For more information about foods and plants that may be toxic to your pet, visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control website at https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control.