Help with grain and quinoa varieties for Gunnison county

Asked January 14, 2015, 9:54 AM EST

I would like to see what varieties of grain and quinoa I can get to grow here in Gunnison. I am particularily interested in quinoa, oats (hull-less if possible), and wheat. The climate in the San Luis Valley is almost as cold as Gunnison and the altitude is about the same and I know that you grow a lot of these over there. I need specific varieties and seed sources if possible. I am a Colorado Master Gardenerer volunteer in Gunnison (3 years) and have the largest privately owned garden in the county. Your help would be appreciated. Robert Johnson

Alamosa County Colorado

Hi Robert, they sent this question to me. Give me a call, we can talk about it. On the Quinoa, about the best source I've found is Bountiful Gardens, who has several varieties. http://www.bountifulgardens.org/Grains-Fibers-and-Oil-Crops/departments/4/ can't really say if I recommend them or not, but they are a good source, and have a good selection of most all grains. I grew Apellewa and Colorado varieties of Quinoa this year and had good success. I really liked the Apellewa for the very large seeds. Oats and Wheat will be tough, you might can get them to seed some years, I've had mixed results. I have a couple packets of Quinoa you're welcome to have. FYI, our MG class starts the 29th. Right now we have six people signed up. take care, eric