Good eating/cooking/storing apple

Asked January 14, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

What is a good all around apple that has the needs the least amount of maintenance. I prefer a red or red/mix apple and also prefer a smaller size tree.

Hopkins County Kentucky

First of all there are no low maintenance apple trees. There are many insects and diseases that like the trees and fruit. If you want to avoid a lot of spraying bagging the fruit is your best solution in the backyard. Later maturing apples store the best. WineCrisp and Enterprise are two red very disease resistant apples that ripen in mid-October and will store well into January. GoldRush is a yellow apple that will store well into April and May. It matures in late October and does not have good resistance to cedar apple rust. I would rank them in flavor with GoldRush as top and Enterprise as very good, but not as good as the other two for fresh eating. All are good apples for making pies. To obtain a smaller tree you will need to purchase a tree grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock and this tree should be staked with a metal fence post to support the trunk and keep the tree from snapping off in a heavy storm. Good dwarfing rootstocks in the 35 to 50% size class are G.41, and G.202. Bud. 9 or B.9 is also in this size class, but is somewhat susceptible to fire blight disease. Cummins Nursery in NY is the only one that I know that carries the G.41 and G.202 rootstocks.