Wooly Alegid and Canadain Hemlock

Asked January 8, 2015, 10:45 AM EST

I'm contemplating planting several Candaian Hemlock trees ion my 1 acre resdiantail yard. I'm wavering though due to the spread of the wooly alegid; I don't want to palnt the Hemlocks and in the future face diffuclty ecological and financial decisions about apply inscticeds to save the trees. My question is has/will the woolly alegid invaded Southwestern PA? (McMurray Pa just south of Pittsburgh to be exact) And will there soon be a natural means for controlling/eradicating the pest from PA? Thnaks

Washington County Pennsylvania

Hi caller,

Thank you for your patience.

Canadian Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) will continue to be stressed by Hemlock Woolly adelgid, which may have already arrived in your area.

I would consider alternative species suitable for your site and purposes. If you want a year-around visual screen, perhaps White Pine (Pinus strobus) is still a native tree which would serve you well. Another from ranges south of you is Atlantic White Cedar, (Chamaecyparis thyoides).

If you really want to continue with hemlock, you may consider the Carolina Hemlock (Tsuga caroliniana), native to further south. It may be more heat tolerant, and perhaps will withstand stresses inclining the Canadian Hemlock to Woolly adelgid attack.