spiney amaranth - pig weed

Asked January 8, 2015, 10:18 AM EST

I asked the question a few days ago and have not heard anything back yet about this plant and the poison that was suggested to get rid of it called Grazonnext HI. this plant is taking over my pastures and yard. the tractor supply store i went to said that Grazonnext HI isn't sold in ky. How do i find where to go to get it. Or is there some other way to get rid of this annoying plant. I'm sure other farmers in this area have this same problem. and what i've read about this plant it speads like wild fire.

Pendleton County Kentucky pastures and forages weed in pasture pigweed amaranth horticulture

Spiny amaranth is a common weed in Kentucky and in Pendleton County. As far as control, we have a great publication for Broadleaf weed control in Kentucky that can be found at this link. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/AGR/AGR207/AGR207.pdf On the 2nd page there is a handy chart that lists the common and approved herbicides for broadleaf weeds, best time for application, and also if mowing is a viable control method. In the case of spiny amaranth, mowing is not effective as it goes to seed quickly and mowing broadcasts the seeds leading to further spread. This publication is also handy for positive id of a variety of broadleaf weeds. Please feel free to contact me should need further assistance.

Please feel free to contact me directly at my office.