grandchild

I am raising my grand-daughter who is 3 yrs old, I retained primary conservator through the courts by way of CPS, I am not financially stable right now and plan on returning to school. Is there any reembersments to me if I adopt her? We live in Texas

El Paso County Texas family caregiving raising grandkids

Thank you for your question. In general, no, there aren't subsidies available to you if you adopt your grandchild. In fact, adopting her may actually impact your/her eligibility for other programs. Have you been to http://www.yourtexasbenefits.com to screen for your/her program eligibility? The state has a program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) which may provide a one-time stipend. Additionally screening for food stamps. And other programs. Additionally, you might want to talk to a tax professional to make sure you're claiming the tax benefits to which you may be entitled, for example, the Earned Income Tax Credit, dependent care credit, etc.