Hello! I have a Netherland Dwarf bunny that's about 8 months old and, upon...

Asked January 7, 2015, 5:12 AM EST

Hello! I have a Netherland Dwarf bunny that's about 8 months old and, upon researching, I've read that leafy greens should be given every day once they're slowly introduced over a few weeks. But I can't get a solid answer on which leafy greens are okay to give him. One website will say that it's okay to give him lettuce, for example, while another website will say that small fancy breeds should NEVER be given lettuce because it could make them sick and kill them. So I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some accurate information on the approved vegetables and fruits to give Netherland Dwarf rabbits. Thanks!

Frederick County Maryland

Greetings Bunny Owner,

Congratulations for entering the very fun world of Netherland Dwarf rabbits!

It does not surprise me that you received conflicting information. Rabbit diet research is relatively new and so many old myths still exist.

When I read your post the first thing that came to my mind was that any type of
lettuce is fine except iceberg. I am not sure where I heard this or if it is still really true.
So I went to a research source - University of Miami - and did not see anything specific about iceberg lettuce.
Please look up their post at:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

I also checked out a post from an active Netherland Dwarf Rabbit Club.
Their post did mention not feeding iceberg lettuce, but did not give any information on why not to feed it. All other greens seemed fine. I think you might find their page interesting. You can find it at:
http://www.nendrc.com/netherland-dwarf-rabbit-care-and-info.html
The feeding information is just below half way down the page.

So my recommendation to you is to follow the research information from Miami and allow your bunny to enjoy fresh greens!

Best wishes and please post again if you have more questions.
Penne Smith