Destruction of nursery stock

I have noticed in the past couple of months a lot of nurseries around us in Clackamas county are tearing out trees and shrubs from their fields and burning them. I am curious what the reason might be?

Clackamas County Oregon

There are a variety of reasons why nurseries remove and burn plant material from their fields. Most commonly, nurseries remove and destroy excess or unsold inventory of plants to make room for new plantings. Nurseries grow plants for certain specifications (age, height, quality, etc.) for their markets and plants that no longer meet those specific requirements take space on farms that might grow more marketable quality plants. In addition, plants may be culled and burned if they have disease or insect problems. Burning reduces the chance that the culled material might be a source of disease inoculum or pest infestation.