I have several very large mums in pots of good soil. I'd like to know if I...

I have several very large mums in pots of good soil. I'd like to know if I can keep them in the pots during the winter in Parkville, MD (zone 7A). My internet research shows many different answers, including whether or not to cut them down. I would appreciate help!

Baltimore County Maryland flowers chrysanthemums overwintering in a container

Your mums may survive the winter in containers if they are protected. The rule of thumb is that plants in containers can overwinter outdoors if they are hardy to two zones colder than your zone. This is because air temperatures get much colder than soil temperatures and can kill the roots of containerized plants.
You did not mention how large the containers are. At this point, sink the containers in the ground and mulch with leaves, pine boughs, or mulch. If the containers are very large, sink in the ground at least halfway and surround the containers with leaves or mulch.
It is recommended to wait until spring when all cold weather is passed to prune. Check the plants and look for new growth. If you see it, prune out all the old dead stems and debris.