bougainvillea changed its colour

Asked December 25, 2014, 7:31 AM EST

I had a potted beautiful red bougainvillea with variegated leaves. I decided to plant it in ground and gave the same amount of sunlight and water for some reason it has changed colour,it has become purple now.I want the red colour back.can I add something in the soil to get the original colour

Outside United States trees and shrubs bougainvillea horticulture

Dear gardener,

The "flowers" of bougainvillea are actually adapted leaves called bracts. The colours produced for sale are generally a result of cross-breeding. New buds can also produce natural hybrid sports. The genetics is complex, and the plants are quite variable.

The colour of the leaves can be a natural occurrence, or caused by an introduced virus. Plants with variegated leaves can sometimes lose this trait over time.

Flowering is dependent on day length and light intensity, similar to poinsettias. The colour of the bracts may be affected by temperature, nutrition, soil acidity and moisture. Bougainvillea plants thrive in slightly acidic soils (5.5 to 6.0). Unfortunately, it is not possible for you to control the colour. But growing a healthy plant should provide you with lovely blooms none the less.