Open Space Trees

Asked December 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EST

Where can I find information about cutting down diseased or dead trees on a homeowner's property but considered to be on conserved land?

Bucks County Pennsylvania

Cutting down trees that pose a risk, even on a conserved property should be fine.

Some conservation easements do not allow timber harvesting, but the removal of a diseased or dangerous tree that poses a risk to another property should not be an issue.

I would suggest contacting the organization that holds the conservation easement on the property (a land trust) to inquire about tree removals. I would also suggest talking to the property owner (neighbor?) and pointing out why the tree needs to be removed.

You could also contact the local DCNR Service Forester and explain the situation. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) has foresters that work with landowners in each county. You can look up your Service Forester at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/yourwoods/index.htm \

Hope this is helpful.