How do I repel moles from the lawn without using poison or traps?

I am looking for a method or product that will repel moles from the lawn. I do not wish to use poison or traps. I do not mind a method or product that requires more than one application per year. The MSU Extension pdf "Moles" is not particularly helpful as the conclusion seems to be to use poison. Perhaps the answer is a simple one: Moles cannot be controlled and we have to live with them. Please advise.

Kent County Michigan mole control lrk

Moles are one of the hardest pests to control. They prefer moist, sandy, or loam soils, and their primary food is earthworms. So getting rid of grubs may help but will not solve the problem. We all want earthworms in our soil, and consider them “good guys.” So we certainly don’t want to eradicate the “good guys.” Poisons haven’t been very effective, either. It seems to be just a temporary solution. The only really effective way to eradicate the moles is by trapping. This can be done by the homeowner, but it is not the easiest thing to do. Traps are not too expensive, but they have to be set in an exact way. There are two types of moles, the eastern mole and the star-nosed mole. The eastern mole creates tunnels throughout the yard, and the star-nosed mole makes volcanoes, the ugly hills that pop up in mowed lawns.

I have included some interesting websites that should be informative to you. I would also suggest calling your local MSU Extension office in Kent County. They should be able to help you. They are located in Grand Rapids.

Kent County Extension: 616-336-3881

Moles in the Lawn

Scalopus aquaticus, Eastern Mole

MoleCatchers.com

CreatureControl.net

The Mole Man.com

Hi Ruth,
Thank you again for your response. Subsequently, I am interested in find someone to talk to about trapping. I've contacted the Mole Man, but they tell me they do not work in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Can you recommend anyone who does serve the Grand Rapids area? Thank you!

I would suggest calling your local MSU Extension office in Kent county. They should be able to help you. They are located in Grand Rapids.

Kent County Extension: 616 336-3881

Good luck!