Is there Lead in my home.

Recently I saw an episode on HGTV that involved a home with lead in the kitchen tile. The person that tested the tile had an electronic lead tester. Your site about lead in the home recommends buying lead testing kits from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. . I have tile in my bathroom that looks like the tile in the home on the TV program. What should I do. We are renovating a 1913 home here in Pueblo. I am concerned about the possibility of lead. What do you recommend I do.

Colorado home ownership healthy homes

If you remodel, you have reason to be concerned. If the tile becomes chipped, cracked, or otherwise damaged, it can put lead dust into the air. Broken tile should be properly repaired and sealed. When remodeling, you must follow lead safe work practices or hire a contractor who does. I suggest visiting the EPA website at www/epa.gov/lead or call the lead hot line at 1 (800) 424-LEAD [5323]. They have great resources for lead testing and recommendations for remodeling. Two EPA publications may be of particular interest:
1. Steps to Lead Safe Renovation, Repair and Painting
2. The Lead Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right