are black walnuts supposed to taste of oranges?

I bought some black walnut pieces from a nut store. Just tried them and found that they had an aftertaste reminiscent of oranges. Can you tell me if they are supposed to taste this way?

Philadelphia County Pennsylvania black walnut tree horticulture

Thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

I have read quite a few descriptions of black walnut aftertaste. Most describe the aftertaste as bitter. Many people seem to enjoy the taste while many do not like it at all. There may be some variation in flavor caused bu differences in the way the nuts were handled after harvest. NO source that I read mentioned an orange aftertaste.

If you have additional questions you can contact the Hortline described below.

The Horticulture hotline (HortLine) of the Penn State Extension Philadelphia Master Gardeners is a free service for residents of Philadelphia. Master Gardeners are ready to answer questions pertaining to the appropriate selection of vegetables, ornamental plants, pesticides, soil, plant identification, pruning, compost, mulch, insect control, plant diseases and more.

The HortLine can also answer questions about canning garden produce and food safety. If we cannot answer the question ourselves we will refer it to the Penn State University Hotline.

To contact the Philadelphia HortLine

A Master Gardener will get back in touch with you shortly.

E-mail questions can be sent in at any time of year. HortLine voicemail is in operation from mid-March until the end of October.