posible sick cow

Asked November 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

We slaughtered a beef and when we skinned it there were little blood blisters all over. Not in the meat but on the under side of the skin. My dad said they looked like blue berries. Can you help me.

Weber County Utah beef cattle small meat processors meat processing

Hi -- I could help you more if you could send a picture of what you saw. Without that, I'm just guessing. If the animal did not seem sick before slaughter and was in good condition, what you saw was probably not a problem (especially if you removed the structures with the hide and you didn't see others anywhere else). Nearly all parasites, bacteria and other disease-causing organisms are killed when meat is cooked properly, anyway. The best I can come up with for your situation is "hemal nodes" which look like little spleens. They are quite common and do not indicate a problem. There is a little more info about them at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_10856_10905-32311--,00.html.