Hi - My wife bought a bunch of bulbs yesterday (because they were marked down...

Asked November 14, 2014, 10:17 AM EST

Hi - My wife bought a bunch of bulbs yesterday (because they were marked down to $1 each). I think they are tulips and daffodils. She said that they are supposed to be planted before December. I haven't tried, but I'm assuming that my ground is frozen (I live in St. Paul). What do you recommend I do with the bulbs? I do have some large pots in my basement that I brought in for the winter before they froze. Can I plant the bulbs in them and then keep them in the basement so the dirt doesn't freeze and break the pots?

Ramsey County Minnesota

There has probably been enough snow cover to make it possible to get the bulbs into the ground. It is also predicted to be warmer next week and that may make it easier to get the bulbs into the ground. If you do get them into the ground mulch them to give them longer to grow some roots. If you have to put them in containers the best way to overwinter tulips planted in containers is in an unheated garage, where bulbs are chilled enough to break dormancy, yet are protected from repeated freezing and thawing. If you can get the plants into the ground but not into the place you want them you also can submerge entire containers directly into garden soil. and put them where you want them next spring.