What causes thin soil and what are the characteristics of thin soil, and...

What causes thin soil and what are the characteristics of thin soil, and please do not give me a link to a website. Eg one charactorestic is visible large rocks

Outside United States soils

Soil can, depending on climate, take in excess of 500 years just to form 1 inch (2.54 mm) of soil. Soil building is a function of deposition from above and the breaking down of parent material from below.

Thin soils can be the result of arid conditions, erosion and even new land formation. In construction settings, top soils are often stripped away and subsoils compacted to ensure building stability. Thin soil is common in these situations are usually only a fraction of the original top soil is replaced if it's replaced at all.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of characterics of thin soils. Short depth to bedrock or a fragipan is the most obvious characteristic. This causes a restricted root zone. It also can cause a high water table in some cases. If you can tell me more specifically what you are looking, I can try to better answer your question.