I have a Christmas cactus (apricot colored flowers) that has this past year...

Asked November 8, 2014, 11:58 AM EST

I have a Christmas cactus (apricot colored flowers) that has this past year developed leaves with brownish colored leaves (not spots) that look kind of woody that you can scrape off the brown with your fingernails. I heard somewhere that using Lysol on the leaves could help but am afraid to use it in case it makes the situation worse or kills my Christmas cactus which I love. Again, many thanks for your help.

Hampden County Massachusetts

Submit digital photos of the brown spots on the foliage so we can see what you may be dealing with. It is possible that you may be referring to scale, a sucking insect. See the attached link for photos and control information http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/scale-insects-houseplants
Before you use an insecticide make sure the pest is identified and you know what you are spraying for. Do not use a home solution on the foliage as it can damage it.