Carrot problem

I have noticed something eating my Carrots other years but there seems to be more this year any ideas what might be doing this? Thank You Dennis Green

Minnehaha County South Dakota

There are some insect pests of carrot roots like the carrot rust fly but if they were the problem, you should see the little maggots feeding in the carrot tissue. I suspect that this damage is actually caused by a root disease that cleared itself up when the weather got dryer but the damage was left behind. I have seen this same kind of damage in my own carrots. Did you notice any carrots that had a soft rot, usually near the top of the carrot? I think this is the same thing but a mild case. The splits in the carrot result in inconsistent moisture conditions, some rain after a longer period of dry weather causes the carrot to start growing again, often causing it to crack.