Sweet Potatoes

I used to be able to grow nice Sweet Potatoes and now the real small ones look pretty good but when they get larger they have rough skin and are deformed. My garden is not very large and I have raise beds. I rotate them mainly with Nordland white potatoes every other year. Can you tell me if I can do anything about this other than stop growing them? Thank You Dennis Green

Minnehaha County South Dakota

I have to admit that I do not know a lot about sweet potato diseases. In the research I did, scurf seems to be the most common disease with nematodes being the most common other pest problem. There are also a number of fungal rots that can be common. For the home gardener, a 3-4 year crop rotation plan is one of the best ways to avoid problems and also start with good, clean cutting stock each year - do not start your own cuttings from a root you grew the year before. I hope that helps. I will send this on to some other folks to see if they have any other suggestions.