what should i do/

Asked November 6, 2014, 10:40 AM EST

how do i choose healthy but have a balanced diet? food is my weakness and always has been. What can i do to make better choices also do excersise and feel good about doing it? without quitting that is?

New Hampshire

Hello!

There are many things that you can do to make healthy choices and have a balanced diet. The best thing to do is to start with small changes that you know you can make. Set a goal that you know you are able to reach.

For example, if you currently do not eat any vegetables for lunch, try to add at least one vegetable every day for lunch. If that seems like too much for you, try adding one vegetable to every Monday's lunch and add Tuesday when you reach the first goal.

You want to make sure that your goals are things that you can change and are specific. For example: do not make your goal "I will exercise more". this is very vague and doesn't give you any guidance for how to do so. A better example is "I will walk briskly for 30 minutes on my lunch break on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

Make sure to write down your goals and put them in places that you will see. This will help keep you motivated!

Try reaching out to your local Extension http://extension.unh.edu/Food-Health
They offer classes about healthy eating and exercise. Take a friend with you and you can learn together!