Treating a fruit fly infestation

How do I get rid of these little pests? I've tried the vinegar in the jar with the soap suds and the jar covered with holes poked in it. I catch lots of flies, but their numbers don't seem to decrease. I also ordered two cute traps from Amazon. They also catch the little devils, but so far no relief! Will these pests eventually die out? HELP!

integrated pest management fruit flies

Hi -

Fruit fly infestations are common this time of the year. What you are doing should be working, but you should NOT see soap suds. Only one drop of dish detergent is needed to break the surface tension of the water. The other trap is not necessary.

To get rid of the population, you need to find the source. Is there any possible place a bag of old fruit might be stored? Try to figure out where they are coming from. It might have been fruit in the trash, which is now gone. But, it will take 7-10 days to get rid of all of them. I had a personal situation like this and that's what it took me to get rid of them.

Here is an explanation and details to be sure you have the apple cider vinegar trap done correctly:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_get_rid_of_fruit_flies_in_your_home