my question

Asked November 4, 2014, 10:52 AM EST

my goat is acting strange i have had it for over 2 years and it was tame as a pet rock now if it sees anyone it goes crazy and tries to get away do you know what is happening

Hemphill County Texas

Hi -- a change in behavior is one of the hallmark signs of a disease of sheep and goats called Scrapie. We are trying to eliminate this disease from the U.S., so it is important to find and diagnose this problem. The odds of it being Scrapie are low, but should be investigated because this is such a serious disease. Your goat could have other problems (rabies, brain abscess or tumor, lead poisoning, vision problem, cystic ovaries if female, recent traumatic event, predators in the area...), so it really should be examined by a veterinarian. Your local veterinarian will ask for assistance from your state veterinarian if he/she thinks that is warranted. I hope it isn't something serious, just temporary! Best wishes,