In today's article you said that a tree should be overwintered outdoors if it...

In today's article you said that a tree should be overwintered outdoors if it could not be planted now. I have a bunch of volunteer butterfly bushes that sprouted up from seed and I just discovered them a week or so ago. Dug them up, put them in pots in my greenhouse. But these are plants that normally winter outdoors. I was afraid they were too small to do that. Can I keep them in the greenhouse over the winter?

Carroll County Maryland shrubs butterfly bush overwintering

The butterfly bush volunteers can be overwintered in the greenhouse. Be aware that volunteers will not come true to form. Butterfly bush is a plant to watch. It spreads by seed dispersed mostly by wind. If you find this plant in the wild or in open areas that are to be managed as a natural habitat, remove it so it does not displace native species.