I need advise on fertilizing aronia berry bushes.

Hello, I am looking at planting aronia berry bushes. I find lots of information on planting and care for the bush. I am looking for more information on fertilizer requirements and recommendations on an ongoing basis. I am in the Yankton County, SD and Cedar County, NE location. Thank you for any information and links.

Cedar County Nebraska

Is this for commercial production or home fruit production? Currently, there has not been a lot of research conducted on Aronia melanocarpa fertilization. I would reassign this question to our fruit production person but that position is currently open. Therefore, I will share a few tips. First, have a soil test done to determine pH, phosphorous, potassium, etc. of your soil. Recommendations for nitrogen fertilization of Aronia melanocarpa that I found from other University sites ranged from 0.25 ounces of N to 1.5 ounces of N per plant. This is quite a range,and likely based on soil fertility of the site; hence I would tell them your production plans when you send in a soil test. Also, you could contact Aronia berry Services. They are in northeastern Iowa: http://aroniaberryservicesofneiowa.com/ Please let me know if you have additional questions.

One more thing: Research has shown that too much N can lower the anthocyanin content of the berries so it is important not to over-fertilize with N.

Thank you for the information. It is for commercial use. I completely agree to start with pH testing and a full spectrum of soil testing. To understand current conditions and opportunities for improvement.

I wish I could be more helpful, but hopefully this gets you started in the right direction. By the way, Eldon Everhart with Iowa Extension may have more information about fertilization of Aroniaberry. I believe he has worked with it fruit production more than I have. His number can be found at the bottom of the article at the link below.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2009/mar/110401.htm