I've had this rubber tree plant for a few months. Recently it started...

I've had this rubber tree plant for a few months. Recently it started drooping. I checked the roots- fine. I only water it every three weeks, if at all. Anything else I could do to help it? -Thanks! Abby

King County Washington

There may be several reasons for drooping leaves. Sometimes the soil is so solid with roots that the plant may not be rehydrating itself. Check for this. Also, it looks like the container is a little small for the plant but these plants like slightly cramped root conditions. To determine if you need to repot, you would see fine roots on the surface of the soil or roots coming through the bottom drainage hole. If this is the case, you may need to repot and is best done in the spring about February or March.
Also, focus on proper care. The plant grows well in medium light or where it gets some sun each day. They adapt to normal room temperatures. Let the top half of the potting mixture dry out before watering. Give standard liquid fertilizer to actively growing plants only.
See the attached link for more information http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/houseplants/rubber-trees-weeping-figs-and-other-frie...