maganese and iron in deep residential wells

To whom it may concern, I need to know how to treat my well water that has a high concentration of maganese and iron in it. I understand from my well guy that an iron filter will not work. In talking to Budget Water Company in Pittsburgh that they might have a solution to my problem by using a chlorine injection system. Is there anybody there that might be able to help me out? I really appreciate talking to somebody that really knows about this subject! If you can not call me just give your phone and I will call you. Bill Burskey 419-892-3320

Richland County Ohio drinking water in-home water quality and treatment options water quality well water private wells

Hi Bill,

Do you have any water test results from an unbiased, accredited water testing laboratory that shows how much iron and manganese is present? Also, does your water look clear when it first comes from the well or does it already have significant sediment? Feel free to send a response directly to me at brs@psu.edu.

Bryan, I did have my water tested but the sample was taken about a week after I had put bleach and hydrogen peroxide in my well and after I did this I ran my pump from an outside faucet until I could smell the bleach. I also flushed out my high pressure tank but I could not get clear water even after six (6) times. After this my two (2) in line filters would plug up. I had a company named CSI test my water and the following are the results of the test: maganese 2.00ppm, iron 3.42ppm, turbidity 1249 NTU units, hardess 6.31gpg as caco3, ph 7.65 units. I know these are bad results, but I now know that the water contained oxidized maganese and iron solids. The water is now clear and is not clogging my filters. I wish I could talk to you Mr. Swistock. Bill Burskey 419-892-3320 line filters ( one 40

Bill - it is not unusual at all to have a dramatic increase in iron, manganese and sediment after shock chlorinating a well. The chlorine corrodes these metals from the well casing and can also oxidize metals in the sediment and rock formation. I would suggest getting the water re-tested for iron and manganese now that the water has cleared up.