Sump Pump runs every 2 hours

My sump pump has been running consistently every 2 hours (maybe even more frequently) for the past month. I've had a house inspection and talked to the water company, and they both claim this is nothing to worry about. However, my sump pump finally died last night and I was forced to use a shop vac to empty it. The water company has told me my water usage is minimal and I don't appear to have any leaks. What are some possible explanations for the continuous running of my sump pump and what type of professional should I potentially consult about my issue?

Arapahoe County Colorado

Thank you for your question for eXtension. The topic area in which you've made a request is not yet fully staffed by eXtension experts and therefore we cannot provide you with a timely answer. Instead, if you live in the United States, please consider contacting the Cooperative Extension office closest to you. Simply go to http://www.extension.org, drop in your zip code and choose the office that is most convenient for you. We apologize that we can't help you right now, but please come back to eXtension to check in as we grow and add experts.