stumpage value

Hello, I have a plot that the local timber firm wants to timber. How do I access the value of the timber? Thank you, Ray

Bedford County Pennsylvania

Ray,

My first suggestion is to contact your local DCNR Service Forester that covers your county. You can find them at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/yourwoods/index.htm

The best way to access the value of your timber prior to a logger harvesting the trees, is to hire a consulting forester that will evaluate your timber value and help you put a timber sale (contract) together. The consulting forester will put the contract out for bid to ensure that you get the best price for your timber and can also mark and manage the operation, making sure the job is done correctly and trees that were not marked are not removed, or your logging roads are seeded and don't erode. The consulting forester works for you and helps you avoid any issues that might arise. You can find consulting foresters in your area by contacting the DCNR Bureau of Forestry office in you county/region. Go to the website above and find your county forester and start with a conversation with them. They are there to help landowners.