I found this growing in mid August after digging up a wild seed bed. Covered...

I found this growing in mid August after digging up a wild seed bed. Covered the rest of ground with black plastic and this came up on side. Just left it to see what it grew into. Had a leaf that looked like cabbage when small. Is it a weed?

Duchesne County Utah

Hello there,
This is a species of Brassicaceae (mustard). It could be yellow rocket (Barbarea vulgaris), Indian rocket (Brassica juncea), or a few others. To identify mustards to species, you need to have mature fruit. If you still have the plant and there are enough warm days for it to mature, you could send it to me for identifcation. Be sure to allow the fruit to mature before sending, as fruit length is a characteristic.
If you mail it, include a section of stem, a few leaves from the top, a few leaves from the base, and the mature fruit, and seal in a gallon ziplock bag and place in a box or padded envelope.
Mail to:
Schutter Diagnostic Lab
119 Plant Bioscience Facility
PO Box 173150
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717

thanks,
Hilary