why does Romanesque cauliflower turn reddish?

I like to buy times Romanesque cauliflower at the farmer's market. When I buy it it is bright green, but as it sits in the fridge, and especially after it is on the counter for a while and I have started to cut it, it starts to change color, turning reddish and sometimes starting to get a deflated appearance.I don't remember this happening in past years. Any ideas what causes this? Is it normal? Is there a way to prevent it?

Philadelphia County Pennsylvania

Thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

I cannot find anything in the literature that matches the condition you describe. One source mentioned that romanesco cauliflower will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. After that it will start getting soft and turn brown. I would guess that freshness is very important and that oxidation could account for the color change. You should make sure that the produce you buy is freshly picked, and then store in sealed containers in the refrigerator. If you purchase more than a 2 day supply you can freeze romanesco cauliflower.

If you have additional questions you can contact the Philadelphia HortLine.

The Horticulture hotline (HortLine) of the Penn State Extension Philadelphia Master Gardeners is a free service for residents of Philadelphia. Master Gardeners are ready to answer questions pertaining to the appropriate selection of vegetables, ornamental plants, pesticides, soil, plant identification, pruning, compost, mulch, insect control, plant diseases and more.

If we cannot answer the question ourselves we will refer it to the Penn State University Hotline.

To contact the Philadelphia HortLine

A Master Gardener will get back in touch with you shortly.

E-mail questions can be sent in at any time of year. HortLine voicemail is in operation from mid-March until the end of October.