mulled wine dangers

Asked October 22, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

In viewing a mulled wine recipe on the internet, the recipe called for bringing the wine to a boil, and then reducing the heat to allow it to simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes. Below the recipe was room for viewer comments, and one comment stated that boiling wine was dangerous because the boiling changed the alcohol to a tyoe of poisonous alcohol. How can this be? I thought that the boiling would evaporate the alcohol. I do know not to use aluminum..Martha

Marion County Oregon food safety food preparation

1 Response

I checked with our Food Science and Tchnology faculty on campus and they do not believe that boiling wine can change the chemical make-up of it to make it another type of alcohol, or be toxic.

In addition, the 6-8 minute simmer, probably won't be long enough to boil off all the alcohol, depending on how much liquid you have in the pan, but you're right, eventually it would boil away.

Hope this helps.